How to help Harvey victims in under half a minute
Here are just a few of the fast, easy and effective ways to send urgently needed help to those affected by Harvey, just by texting or clicking on any of these links to donate:
1. The American Red Cross is accepting donations on its website. You can also text HARVEY to 90999 to donate $10.
2. AmeriCares takes medicine and supplies to survivors.
3. Catholic Charities provides food, clothing, shelter and support services to those from all religious backgrounds.
4. Donations to the Salvation Army can be made online at their website, by calling 1-800-SAL-ARMY (1-800-725-2769) or text STORM to 51555.
5. AABB, which coordinates a task force to manage blood collection efforts during disasters, put out a call on Sunday for blood donations in the aftermath of Harvey. Most in demand: those with type O-positive blood. Those interested in donating blood may contact the following organizations:
• AABB: 301-907-6977
• American Red Cross: 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767)
• Armed Services Blood Program: 703-681-5979
For a complete listing of local and national non-profits, read this NY Times article:
Where to Donate to Harvey Victims (and How to Avoid Scams)